What to do when my luggage is lost ?
Lost of luggage is a current situation in airports. It is due to multiple factors. But, what to do when your luggage is lost ? Keep reading to find out.
Table of content
- Your luggage is lost ? Keep calm
- Report the loss of your luggage to your airline company
- Consult your bank insurance policy (credit card)
- Inform your hotel reception about your lost luggage
- Go to the lost & found luggage service in the airport
I) Your luggage is lost ? Keep calm
You are front of luggage claim and your bag didn’t arrive yet? You have just received a message from your airline company to inform you about your lost luggage? Don’t worry! Keep calm & breath, most of lost luggage is found!
Moreover, the probability that your luggage will be lost by a airline company is slim. Indeed, according to the Air Travel Consumer Report issued by the U.S. Department of Transportation, you face less than a 1 percent chance that a major airline will misplace your bags
II) Report the loss of your luggage to your airline company
Go to your airline company office to report your lost luggage (or damaged). Some airline companies (as Air France) have an office dedicated in Roissy-CDG & Orly airports. Keep notes of all the information about your baggage.
Travelers who lose their luggage during a domestic flight can claim up to $3,000 per person to their airline company.
In most of cases, your bags will be quickly found and your airline company will deliver it to your home or your hotel within 2 days. For others, be patient & ask for a compensation.
To avoid the loss of your luggage, you can directly book our luggage shipping service.
III) Consult your bank insurance policy (credit card)
If you booked your ticket with a credit card, maybe you have an insurance to cover the loss of your luggage. Call your bank to have more information and to begin formalities. The amount of compensation can be used to buy some clothes and a toothbrush during your luggage research.
IV) Inform your hotel reception about your lost luggage
If you’re not at home, inform the reception of your hotel and give them information about your lost luggage. You can ask each morning at the reception if your bag has been found.
V) Go to the lost & found luggage service in the airport
If you are lucky and your bag has been found, you can claim it at “Lost & Found Luggage” service from the airport. Remember to keep your boarding ticket with your baggage references.
But to avoid all these steps, how can you do ?
Before your flight:
- Check your luggage tag: be sure your tag is correctly placed to prevent falling. You can take pictures of your bag tags. It can be useful in case of loss.
- Keep your precious stuff in the cabin: it’s better to keep your personal items (jewels, electronic material…) and your identity papers with you.
- You can send your luggage directly to your destination thanks to our luggage shipping service.
Track your baggage thanks to technology
- Trace.me, a site who tracks your baggage anywhere and at anytime. The better to avoid to lose your luggage or to find it.
- Reboundtag, connected luggage tags using RFID, NFC or Wifi technologies to locate your bag anywhere in the world.
- Bag2Go, connected luggage with same concept than connected tags.